Since the finding of the vitamin C, evening primrose oil is the second most spectacular discovery in the world of medicine. The goodness of evening primrose oil comes from the seeds of the evening primrose plant (Oenothera biennis), a wildflower that can be found only in central and eastern North America. Native Americans used to eat and use this leaf vegetable for all kinds of purposes. Today, this plant comes in more sophisticated forms – evening primrose oil tablets and oil. The form may have changed but the healing properties remained the same.
What makes the evening primrose oil so special is its high concentration of a fatty-acid (GLA), omega 6 and the pain relieving compound, phenylalanine. This medical herb has been used to treat all kinds of problems including acne, headaches, heart disease, hyperactivity in children, weight problems, alcoholism, sclerosis, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue syndrome, and much more.
Doctors prescribe evening primrose oil tablets to treat inflammation, skin problems and auto-immune diseases. The healing powers of this medical herb are widely known. People use both the oil and the tablets for all kinds of medical conditions.
- Pre-menstrual tension – Evening primrose oil tablets help sooth menstrual cramps and pre-menstrual breast pain;
- Eczema – Helps relieve the pain from skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis;
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Studies show that these tablets help eliminate the signs of inflammation and ease the pain and the swelling of the joints;
- Heart Diseases – Evening primrose oil tablets are also known to prevent all kinds of heart diseases and prevent diabetes.
Evening primrose oil comes in two forms – oil and tablets. You can either use it internally or apply it directly on the skin. Talk to your doctor first and if he/she prescribes you the evening primrose oil tablets, make sure you stick to the prescribed dosing instruction.
- Don’t forget to take evening primrose oil and tablets with food.
- You are free to mix and swallow the evening primrose oil tablets with milk or other liquid.
- If you forget to take your dose, don’t panic right away. Remember to take the same the following day. Or simply consult with your doctor.
- If the oil has a strange taste or smell, do not take it (normally, it has a nutty smell and taste).
You need to be aware that all medicines cause some side effects. And although none are known for the evening primrose oil tablets, still you need to turn to your doctor if you experience some of these problems:
- Skin rashes