Tactical lights are not typical flashlights that you keep in your kitchen drawer. These are flashlights that have been designed for police or military use and most of them are made to be mounted on a weapon. They are smaller in size when compared to traditional models, featuring maximum durability with the capacity to emit much more light. Yes, their main purpose is to be used by the military or the police, but they also find their usage in everyday life in various situations.
Self-defense – Looking at a tactical flashlight can be very painful for the eyes which makes these lights a great choice for self-defense. For example, if you find yourself in a situation where someone is threatening you, just take your tactical light and flash the light in his eyes. This will lead to temporary blindness so you will have time to run away.
Identify threats – Anytime you find yourself walking in the dark, you can definitely use the light of a tactical light to keep yourself safe from harm.
Help in emergency situations – Almost all of us have been in a situation when all of a sudden, the lights go off which in many cases can be quite scary. Having a flashlight with you will ensure you will never be scared in a such situation.
There is a wide range of models of tactical lights on the market, so the one you choose will usually depend on your personal preferences and of course the budget. Here are a few things you should look for when buying a tactical light.
- Size – Consider something small so you can carry it in your pocket no matter where you go without making you feel comfortable.
- Simple – The more complex the light is, the harder it may be for you to use its primary feature, especially when you most need it. So, make sure you choose something simple.
- Waterproof – Look for a light that can help you in any kind of situation and weather condition. This means the light should work in rainy weather or other wet conditions.
- Strong – Look for a flashlight made of aluminium to ensure maximum durability.
- 120 lumens at least – This is the recommended number of lumens for a flashlight to be an effective self-defense tool.
- LED or incandescent? – LED bulbs are more durable than incandescents. Also, incandescent bulbs are not as energy efficient as LEDs and they burn batteries faster as well.